A port is an area at the coast handling imports, exports, and passengers connecting the interior the coast and other countries.
It is called Euro port because it’s used in the month it is used by European countries in the Rhine lands like Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, and Luxembourg.
It is called an eater port because of handles many ports and it serves the most productive industrialized and developed areas of Western Europe.
It was constructed by Holland with assistance from other European Union member countries.
Importance of Rotterdam port.
- Employment opportunities leading to increased standards of living like traders in industries, the transport sector.
- Promotion of trade both internal and external around Rotterdam with countries like Germany and Switzerland.
- International relations and regional corporations leading to international trade for Rhineland countries.
- Source of revenue like custom duties, taxes, improving the national income, and capital accumulation.
- Development of industries like oil refining, shipbuilding, and repairing because of the easy transportation of raw materials.
- Promotion of education and research because of landforms, industries, economic activities.
- Development of the tourism industry because of landforms, industries, and increased incomes leading to entertainment activities.
- Economic diversification by influencing other activities like resource exploitation like minerals, forests, and fishing potentials.
- Provision of areas for settlement and accommodation, offices because of buildings,
- improvement in infrastructure like the construction of roads, railway, canals, airports.
- Improvement in social services since it is a few like water supply, power supply leading to increased standards of living.
- Source of foreign exchange because of customs duties, export trade, tourism helping in importation and investment.