Cottage Industries are Industries involved in making products particularly in homes using hands and simple tools.
The following are Characteristics of cottage industries
- Locally available materials are used.
- Capital infested is small.
- Most of the products are sold to the local market, but few are exported.
- Skills are acquired informally.
- Use of hands and simple and sometimes advanced tools.
- Usually, involve art or skill possessed by a person to produce items that are in demand in the neighbourhood.
- its labour intensive.
- Very few items are made because the market for items is usually small.