Wind energy is mainly used in arid and semi-arid areas where wind flow isn‟t obstructed by vegetation.
The wind is harvested using windmills and converted into mechanical energy which is used for pumping water, grinding grain, and generating electricity.
Wind energy is also used to propel ocean-going vessels e.g. dhows.
the folowing are advantages and disadvantages of using wind energy:
- It is an inexhaustible source of energy.
- It does not pollute the environment.
- The land between the windmills can be used for other purposes.
- Can be produced on small scale basis for local consumers.
- Windmills for harvesting are expensive to buy and install.
- The equipment for harvesting is relatively expensive to maintain.
- Many windmills are required to provide a significant amount of electrical energy.
- It fluctuates when the strength and direction of the wind changes.
- The large tracts of land it requires (wind farms) alter the environment’s beauty.
- Its not available in many areas except in open areas.