Skip to content
CHARACTERISTICS OF INDUSTRIES IN EAST AFRICA
- They mainly use Hydro Electric Power as the source of energy.
- They are mainly set up near the power source e.g. Jinja, Kampala and Nairobi.
- They are mainly owned by foreigners e.g. Madhvani industries.
- Most industries are labour intensive i.e. use more of human labour force than machines.
- They produce low quality goods which are less demanded internationally.
- They are on small scale because of low market base.
- They use out-dated machinery which leads to poor quality products.
- Most industries are extractive (primary) and hence produce raw materials.
- They mainly produce for the local market and very little is exported.