Cattle ranching schemes is the rearing of animals purposely for the production of meat. Ranching schemes are set up by the government to act as demonstration farms to the nomadic pastoralists.
Examples of cattle ranching schemes in East Africa include;
- Kaputiel ranching scheme in Masai land.
- Ankole Masaka ranching scheme among the Bahima.
- Aswa ranching scheme in Acholi.
- Agago ranching scheme in Karamoja.
- Singo and Buruuli ranching scheme for Peasants in Luweero and Nakasongola.
- Kongwa ranching scheme in Gogoland (Central Tanzania in Kondoa region).