Skip to content
IMPORTANCE OF THE FISHING INDUSTRY
- Provision of employment opportunities to fishermen hence improving their standards of living.
- Source of food rich in proteins to the population.
- Source of foreign exchange through fish exports used for infrastructural development e.g. roads.
- Promotes economic diversification thereby increasing income flow and reduces dependence on agriculture.
- Facilitates development of fish processing industries which provide more jobs e.g. Masese and Gomba fisheries.
- Source of government revenue through taxation used for development of schools and hospitals.
- Stimulates development of other sectors like poultry through providing feeds e.g. silver fish (Mukene).
- Facilitates development of infrastructures such as roads, markets and training institutions which leads to provision of social services.
- Has facilitated growth of towns leading to regional balance e.g. Dar-es-salaam, Kisumu and Bukoba.
- Promotes tourism through game fishing e.g. at Malindi.