Skip to content
The following is the importance of forest in Gabon:
- It is a source of government revenue by taxing people, companies, industries leading to capital accumulation and improvement in international income
- Climate modification leading to high rainfall in the surrounding areas through evaporation and evaporation leading to the development of agriculture
- Environmental protection by providing habitat for plant species and animal species and soil formation and conservation because of the humus and control of soil erosion, landslide and mass wasting
- Source of materials for making local herbs, medicines, and chemicals for treatment of people and livestock
- A source of building materials like timber, cardboard, wood pulp, cellulose, and these materials are used for furniture
- The provision of employment opportunities like lumbering, carpentry, furniture, and workshops leads to an increased standard of living.
- Development of the tourism industry due to the presence of wildlife (flora and fauna)
- Economic diversification by influencing other activities like transport, trade, tourism, and industrialization
- A source of foreign exchange by exporting forest products like timber, plywood, and wood pulp.
- Protection of water catchment areas like the source of rivers for example river Ogouwe, Livindo
- Provision of settlement for communities living depending on forest product and food gathering, for example, pygmies