Desert and semi-desert climate type of climate is mainly found in the sub-tropical belt. These areas include Karamoja, Turkana land, and Chalbi desert in Northern Kenya
Factors that have led to desert type of climate
- Latitudinal location far away from the equator where rainfall is low and unreliable.
- Location on Eastern side of the continent where off-shore winds especially the North East trade winds lead to aridity.
- Absence of large water bodies in the interior hence reduced evaporation e.g. Chalbi desert.
- Rain shadow effect due to presence of Ethiopian highlands hence dry descending winds reaching Karamoja and Turkana land.
- Presence of scanty vegetation which limits evapo-transpiration leading to low rainfall totals.
- Presence of off-shore winds which blow parallel to the coast diverting moisture bearing winds from the land mass.
- Bush burning by pastoralists which leads to rise in temperatures.