A port is an area at the coast handling imports, exports, passengers connecting the interior of the coast and other countries.
Rotterdam’s port is found in the Netherlands. Holland at the North Sea and mouth of R. Rhine.
It is called Euro port because it’s used in the month it is used by European countries in the Rhine lands like Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg.
It is called an eater port because of handling many ports and it serves the most productive industrialized and developed areas of Western Europe.
It was constructed by Holland with assistance from other European Union member countries.
Factors for the location, growth, and development of Rotterdam port
- Hard basement rocks composed of granite, quartz helping in the construction of buildings, transport, and routes.
- Presence of natural harbours well sheltered from strong waves because of headlands, islands, bays, gulf.
- Presence of deep waters accommodating big ships carrying exports, imports like the oil tankers.
- Flat and gentle slopes helping in construction, transport and drainage.
- Strategic location near the North Sea and mouth of R. Rhine making it good for navigation for the Rhineland countries.
- Rich and productive hinterland with a lot of exports and imports like minerals, fish, timber.
- Extensive land for its expansion around R. Rhine and the North Sea.
- A climate like frost-free conditions making it operational throughout the year.
- Limited physical obstacles like rocks, swampy vegetation, relief feature making it easily approachable for navigation.
- Low tidal range leading to weak waves reducing on accidents and easy landing of ships.
- Improved transport like the construction of roads, canals, railways, airports reducing on congestion and leading to easy connection and bringing a lot of exports and imports.
- Good international relations and corporation by European countries helping in marketing, construction and maintenance.
- Large capital base produced by Rhineland countries for investment in the port.
- Improved science and technology helping in its maintenance, improving infrastructure, economic activities and social services.
- Positive and supportive government policies like gazetting areas, providing capital and helping in marketing.
- Improved social services like power and water supply, health facilities attracting people for settlement and economic activities.
- Increased population density and insecurity in Europe leading to favourable investment climate and diverting resources to economic activities, infrastructure.
- Presence of economic activities like shipbuilding, oil mining attracting dense population.
- Presence of entrepreneurs and big companies like shipping lines, clearing agents, providing capital and good management.
- Mining, fishing, forestry due to the presence of natural resources leading to many economic activities.