The following are effects of fishing activities on the environment
- Smoking of fish and construction of boats requires timber which leads to deforestation.
- Fishing exposes fishermen to Tsetse flies and Bilharzia disease.
- Smoking of fish leads to atmospheric pollution which spreads human diseases like the flue.
- Fishing leads to the growth of towns which leads to high crime rates, unemployment, and poor sanitation.
- Fishermen are exposed to dangerous water animals e.g. crocodiles on Lake Kyoga.
- Some fish that were introduced such as the Nile perch eat away other species like Tilapia.
- Poor fishing methods like the use of poison may lead to health problems for humans.
- Processing industries that are constructed near water bodies have led to pollution due to the dumping of wastes in the water bodies