COTTON in Uganda It is grown in Gulu, Lira, Soroti, Tororo, Oyam, Dokolo, Amolatar, Kaberamaido, Iganga, Kasese, Apac and Kamuli. In Kenya, it is grown in the Nyanza province near Kisumu and Bungoma. In Tanzania, it is grown near Tabora, Kondoa region and in Sukuma land.
CONDITIONS FOR GROWTH OF COTTON
- The alternating wet and dry season for growing and harvesting respectively.
- The relatively flat or undulating landscape for mechanized farming.
- Warm or Hot temperatures above 20 °C for ripening and harvesting of the crop.
- Fairly deep and fertile black loamy soils for the growth of the crop.
- Moderate to light rainfall of about 510 mm needed during the planting season.
- Large supplies of labour for planting and picking/harvesting of the cotton.
- Large amounts of fertilizers to enrich the soil with favourable nutrients.
- Proper storage facilities in the form of ginneries to reduce losses due to cotton stainers.
- Adequate capital used for buying farm implements e.g. hoes and fertilizers.
- Well sheltered from strong winds by practicing agroforestry.