Research is the scientific and systematic way for searching in-depth information about certain geographical or social phenomena to reach a conclusion.
In other words, Research Is the careful collection of data/information based on a problem, analyzing the data and making conclusion out of those collected. Or Research is a scientific and systematic process of collecting, analyzing and interpreting data basing on a certain phenomena.
Is a body of information about a particular problem
TYPES/SOURCES OF DATA IN RESEARCH
i) Primary source/data is the original data collected directly from the field, they are obtained through interviews, questionnaires, observation and focus group discussion.
ii) Secondary sources/data is the data collected from documents. Example; through books, journals, economics, survey, census report, official report
The following are the disadvantages of research
- it consumes a lot of time hence the researcher can not do other things. research is the process which involves finding the research problem, preparing the research design and methodology, collecting data and issuing the research report, these activities take time and may hinder the researcher from performing other activities such as teaching and looking after his or her family
- it is expensive to conduct research since sometimes it needs funds to hire research assistant, money for transportation, and money to print and distribute the questionnaire
- some findings may be useless and confusing to the community
- the researcher may concentrate on a single problem leaving many other problems unsolved for example attention on HIV/AIDS ignoring education
- research is confined only to intellectuals thus making it inapplicable in illiterate societies’