The Akasombo dam project was opened in 1966 and was built across the Volta river where the river passes through the narrow gorge. The project was funded by Ghana, the United States of America, Britain, and the world bank.
The following are the objectives of Akasombo dam project:
- to store water for industrial and domestic use
- to improve agriculture by providing water for irrigation
- to improve inland water transport or navigation
- to control and regulate the flow of river Volta which is characterized by seasonal fluctuations in the water level
- to generate hydroelectric power especially for melting aluminium and other industries