Urbanization is the process whereby an increasing number of former rural residents become residents in towns or urban centres. It can also be defined as the process whereby rural areas develop into towns or cities.
The following are characteristics of the urban centre:
- There are trade and commerce centres with banks and insurance companies
- There are industrial centres e.g. Kampala and Jinja.
- They have the necessary infrastructure e.g. improved roads and hospitals
- There are administrative centres e.g. Dodoma and Dar es Salaam.
- They normally have high population concentrations
- They have relatively improved social amenities e.g. electricity, running water etc
- They have residential facilities e.g. planned settlement