A questionnaire is a form containing a set of questions, especially one addressed to a statistically significant number of subjects as a way of gathering information for research or survey. In other words, a questionnaire is a research instrument consisting of a series of questions for the purpose of gathering information from respondents.
The following are advantages of a questionnaire as a data collection tool in research:
- Questionnaire has standardized answers that make them simple to analyze and compile.
- Questionnaire permit wide coverage as researcher will just post questionnaire to respondent in different geographical areas.
- It helps in conducting in depth study as respondent may be asked open ended questions to solicit in depth information.
- They do not require much effort from questioner as in the case of interview.
- Questionnaire are flexible and adoptable to variety of research design, population and purposes.