A pie chart or circle chart is a circular statistical chart graph, which is divided into slices to illustrate numerical proportions. While it is named for its resemblances to a pie which have been sliced, there is a variation on the way it can be presented.
Advantages of pie chart:
- display relative proportions of multiple classes of data.
- require minimum addition explanations
- summarize a large data set into visual form.
- pie charts are easily understood due to its widespread use in business and media
- pie charts permit a visual check of the reasonableness or accuracy of the calculation.
- pie charts are visually simpler than other types of graphs.
- size of the circle can be made proportional to the quantity it represents.
disadvantages of pie chart:
- it does not easily reveal exact values. Values are expressed in terms of percentages or ratio therefore it is not easy to know the exact value represented
- the pie chart does not easily show changes over time
- pie charts fail to reveal key assumptions, causes, effects, or patterns
- pie charts can easily be manipulated to yield false impressions