Ground level or horizontal photograph, are as the name suggests, taken from the ground-level perspective. The ground photograph is taken when a camera is held level to the ground. When a ground photograph is taken the axis of the camera is placed horizontally toward the object. The ground photograph is the most common type of photography which we take with our smartphone and is commonly used to store important memories and for getting beautiful photos to post to Instagram and Facebook.
Ground-level photograph has a lot of advantages and uses. Some of the advantages include it is cheap to produce, shows the landscape in great details, and is most common type of photography. However, ground photograph have number of disadvantages or limitations which we are going to discuss in details below.
Disadvantages of ground-level photograph
- It is difficult to determine their scale unless one who takes the picture knows the size of the object . The scale of ground photograph decrease from foreground to background therefore it is difficult to determine the scale of the photograph which can also lead to difficult in determining the area or size of objects in the photograph.
- They are not selective, that is all objects found in the face of the camera are recorded even if they are not needed. Ground photograph is so detailed that is all objects infront of camera are recorded even if they will not serve any purpose to photographer.
- Objects on the fore ground blocks visibility of the objects in the middle and back ground . Since the ground photograph scale decrease from foreground to background the objects on the foreground looks bigger and in some cases may block the visibility of important items in the background.
- It covers small area compared to other types of photography. As compared to oblique photograph and vertical aerial photograph ground level photograph covers small area and this is due to the fact that axis of the camera is horizontal to the ground causing small area to be recorded.
- Ground photograph present mainly qualitative information. Since the scale of ground photograph is difficult to measure then it is difficult to obtain quantitative measurement such as measurement of area and distance from the photograph
- Other objects may be out of focus. Ground photograph focuses on items on the foreground the fire items on the middle ground or back ground may be out of focus and blurred
We hope that you have found this article useful. If you have any additional point you would like to share with us on the disadvantages of the ground photograph, please add them to the comment below.