Death rate is the ratio of total deaths to total population in a specified community or area over a specified period of time. The death rate is often expressed as the number of deaths per 1,000 of the population per year. It is also called fatality rate.
The following are reasons for decreasing death rate in many parts of the world:
- Increase in awareness of importance of personal hygiene
- Improvement and expansion of health services such as building of new hospitals and expansion of immunization programs
- Improvement of agriculture which has led to increase in food production
- Improvement of transport and communication systems which as led to easy distribution of food from areas with surplus to areas with food deficit hence reducing death due to famine
- Increased awareness on eating of balanced diet
- Family planning programs which have led people to bear few children they can raise.
- General increase of national income which have made people to have income to afford their various needs.