Some regions in the interior of continents and about 5 to 15 degrees north and south of the Equator experience a tropical continental climate.
These regions include parts of Central Africa, northern Australia and some areas in South America.
This is also known as Sudan-type or savanna climate. In the interior of continents, it is referred to as a tropical continental climate.
Location: It is experienced within the tropics, though it may extend to 25 degrees north or south of the equator.
GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS OF TROPICAL CONTINENTAL CLIMATE:
- Temperatures are high during the hot season, up to 32 degrees Centigrade.
- During the coolest months, temperatures can drop to 21degree Centigrade.
- The annual range of temperature is moderate, about 11 degrees Centigrade.
- Temperatures are highest just before the onset of the rainy season.
- Rainfall is moderate and is higher near the areas that experience an equatorial climate.
- There are three seasons: a rainy season, a cool and dry season, and a hot season.
- Rainfall is of the conventional type. This climate is characterized by tall grass growing over the land.
Areas that experience tropical continental climates experience high temperatures throughout the year.
The annual temperature range is greater than that of equatorial climates.
An annual temperature range of about 8 degrees Celsius is not uncommon.
Generally, it is warmer during the wet season and cooler during the dry season.
The highest temperatures are experienced just before the start of the wet season. The daily temperature range may be 15 degrees Celsius or even more.
This means that it is much colder at night than during the day..There are scattered trees because of the low amounts of rain. These conditions are suitable for animals such as the giraffe, buffalo, elephant, rhino, zebra, lion, hyena, and leopard.
Many tourists come from foreign countries to view the wildlife that lives in the vast grasslands.
These include Serengeti, Mikumi, and Tarangire national parks. Others include Ruaha, Saadani, and Katavi national parks.