The constraints and limitations that were encountered during the implementation of the 1992 National Population Policy and the implicit population policies include the following.
- Inadequate trained human resources at all levels of implementation
- Inadequate financial and material resources
- Inadequate availability of age and gender disaggregated population related data
- Non-establishment of planned policy coordination and implementation arrangements
- Policies mainly addressed family planning and child spacing activities; this influenced limited participation of players in other reproductive health issues.
- Placing more emphasis on meeting demographic targets rather than the needs of individuals (males and females)
- Inadequate recognition of the relationship between poverty, population, environment, gender and development
- Inadequate advocacy to guarantee the required support for population and development issues
- Insufficient capacity and resources of NGOs engaged in population related activities