Surveying or land surveying is the technique and science of accurately determining the terrestrial or three-dimensional position of points and the distances and angles between them.
These points are usually on the surface of the Earth, and they are often used to establish land maps and boundaries for ownership or governmental purposes.
The following is Importance of land surveying:
- It help to prepare a topographical map which shows the hills, valleys, rivers, villages, towns, forests, etc. of a country.
- It helps to prepare a cadastral map showing the boundaries of the fields, houses and other properties.
- It help to prepare an engineering map which shows the details of engineering works such as roads, railways, reservoirs, irrigation canals, etc.
- It help to prepare a military map showing the road and railway communications with different parts of a country.
- It helps to prepare a contour map to determine the capacity of a reservoir and to find the best possible route for roads, railways, etc.
- It helps to prepare a geological map showing areas including underground resources.
- It helps to prepare an archaeological map including places ancient relics exist.