Natural gas is flammable gas, consisting largely of methane and other hydrocarbons, occurring naturally underground (often in association with petroleum) and used as fuel. Tanzania has recently managed to exploit natural gas at Songo Songo in Kilwa district within Lindi region. The gas is processed at Songo Songo and then transported via pipeline to various destination
The following are advantages of natural gas production in Tanzania
- Natural gas production is the source of employment to Tanzanians. This enable them to earn income and improve their living standard.
- By creating employment opportunities, this industry will reduce the problem of migration of the youth to Dar es salaam and other urban areas
- Apart from the usual domestic and commercial heating, natural gas has been put to use in production of low cost electricity. This means that Tanzanians can access cheap electricity
- The improved supply of natural gas and electricity will provide power to run machinery and therefore promote the development of industries. This will in turn promote the economy of the country
- The production of natural gas will generate revenue ti the government through taxes. This revenue will be used to improve infrastructure in Songo Songo area and rest of the country.