Plane table survey is a graphical method of surveying in which the field works and the plotting is done simultaneously. It is particularly adopting small mapping. Plane table surveying is used for locating the field computation of the area of the field.
Advantages of plane table survey:
- It is most suitable for preparing small scale map or surveying small area.
- It is most rapid method.
- Field book is not necessary.
- No great skill is required for satisfactory map.
- It is particularly suitable for magnetic area where prismatic compass is not reliable.
- Contour and irregular object may be represented accurately.
- It is less costly
Disadvantages of plane table survey
- Plane Table Essentially a tropical instruments.
- It is not suitable to work in a wet climate.
- There are several accessories to be carried out and therefore they are likely to be lost.
- It is not suitable for accurate work.