Afforestation is planting of trees where trees had never existed while reafforestation means planting of trees where forest had been cleared. The planting of trees ,plays a big role in soil conservation. trees can be planted on homestead, on the field or special tracts of land to form forest. They can also be planted on embarkments of terraces.
The following are roles of trees in soil conservation:
- They protect the soil below from raindrop erosion by reducing the force with which it fall on the ground.
- They provide shade and reduce loss of moisture through evaporation.
- They act as windbreak hence reducing wind erosion.
- The roots of trees binds the soil particles together.
- They reduce the speed of running water thus reducing its erosive power.
- The leaves of trees decay to supply humus to the soil which improves the infiltration rate of the soil.