Pollution is addition of harmful and/or unwanted materials on the environment. in other words Pollution is the introduction of contaminants into the natural environment that cause adverse change. Pollution can take the form of chemical substances or energy, such as noise, heat or light. Pollutants, the components of pollution, can be either foreign substances/energies or naturally occurring contaminants.
The following are six effects of environmental pollution in African cities:
- The disruption of coral reef cycle due to water pollution along the coasts
- Bad odour and ugly landscape caused by pollution due to improper waste disposal
- human diseases, such as water borne diseases like typhoid, respiratory diseases and amoebiasis
- Since the African continent is part of the world the air pollution in this part contribute to global warming
- Land infertility due to soil pollution
- Loss of biodiversity .