Mining is the act, process or industry of extracting ores, coal and other minerals from mines.
The following are roles of gold mining in South Africa:
- It has stimulated the development of transport and communication system like railways lines, roads, airways and seaport that encourage export of goods.
- It has created employment opportunities not only to peoples of South Africa but also from neighboring countries like Malawi, Zimbabwe and Mozambique who go there as migrant laborers.
- It has stimulated the development of towns like Johannesburg as mining and business centre of Transvaal
- It has contributed to generation of the government revenue and capital to be invested for further economic development
- It has stimulated the development of industries in the country and other mining activities like uranium and platinum mining
- It has improved standard of living of south African through providing fund to improve social services like education, health services and power supply
- It has earned South Africa an international reputation as world’s leading gold producer