Rural-urban migration is the movement of people from the rural area to urban area for the search of high paying non- agricultural employment and other incentives.
The following are causes of rural-urban migration
- Searching of jobs in urban areas where opportunities of employment are high due to location of industries in these areas.
- Low prices for agricultural product. this makes the income for people living in rural areas low since agriculture is the major source of income in rural areas.
- Nature of education system. In many countries higher learning institution are located in towns making many youth to migrate to towns when they reach college going age.
- Insecurity in some rural areas. In many countries security organs are concentrated in towns making remote rural areas less secure .
- Social services gap between rural and urban areas.In many countries social services facilities such as referral hospital are located in urban areas making them more attractive to rural urban dwellers.
- Wage gap between rural and urban areas, many jobs in urban areas are paying higher wages than the same jobs in rural areas, making people to move to urban areas for search of higher wages.
The following are negative consequence of rural urban migration
- It deprive rural rural areas of labor in agricultural areas
- It increase the prices of commodities, housing and transport in urban areas.
- It increase the rate of unemployment in urban areas since all not all people who come to town to seek employment will be employed
- Economic decline in rural areas because the resources are not utilized due to labor shortage.
- Breaking of family and cultural bond in rural areas.
- It leads to shortage of social services in urban areas due to increase in population caused by this migration
We hope that you have found this article useful. if you have any additional points you would like to share with us on the causes and negative effects of rural-urban migration please add them to the comment below.
THE BENEFITS AND PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH URBANIZATION
SEVEN (7) PROBLEMS FACING COFFEE FARMING IN KENYA
SEVEN (7) CHARACTERISTICS OF PLANTATION AGRICULTURE