Rufiji basin development is found in Tanzania, the government of Tanzania organized the development to support economic activities of the people.
Benefits of Rufiji Basin development:
- It has promoted the market for the Hydro Electric Power (HEP) from Kidatu power plant.
- There has been flood control.
- The scheme has stimulated the development and maintenance of the railway lines and roads.
- It has lead to the creation of employment opportunities in the valley.
- It has promoted living standards of people through employment.
- The development of villages and towns, for example new towns like Kidatu, Makambako and Mikumi.
- The company provides expert advice to the farmers on good farming techniques and solutions to their farming problems.
Problems facing Rufiji Basin Development
- Poor labour supply due to rural urban migration.
- Diseases like Cholera and malaria affect the farmers such that they fail to contribute effectively in the development of the scheme.
- The climate problems like draught have been affecting water availability, sometimes the volume of water in the river decreases.
- There are transport problems prevailing since the roads and bridges are not well constructed, hence during the wet season the area is not well accessible.
- Expenses will be high since the process need high capital and the government does not have enough capital.
- Low technology knowledge among the local people and hence they need intensive training to get the required knowledge and skills.
- The researches and preliminary plans are taking too long. This will lead to the decline of other small projects because the government is concentrating more on that big project