Population can be higher in particular areas due to the availability of social services, (food, shelter, hospital), good economic activities, agriculture, trade, good infrastructure, climatic condition. When the population is high, it can cause the following effect on the environment.
EFFECT OF FAST RATE POPULATION AND URBAN GROWTH ON THE ENVIRONMENT
- Soil erosion. This is because when the population grows high, it leads to expansion of settlement and residence because they will need to build houses which involves digging the land for setting the foundation of the houses.
- Deforestation when the population is higher it leads to the expansion of settlement and residence. That people will cut trees in order to create space and for building.
- Loss of biodiversity, This is due to risky human activities that endanger the life of living organisms for instance using chemicals in agriculture and fishing and deforestation also cause biodiversity.
- Desertification is a condition where the land is bare that it allows the sun to heat directly on the land since there is no land cover’
- Air pollution since the number of people increasing on the environment improve industrialization. That will produce large amount on gases.