Contour are lines drawn in the map to show the areas with equal altitude from sea level. The following are advantages and disadvantages of using contour as the method of representing relief on the mapped area, starting with advantages.
Advantages of using contour to represent relief on the map
- It depict slope and size of different landforms on map.
- By reading contour interval it is easy to determine the different elevation of the landscape.
- It provide the basis for coloring method.
- It can be used in drawing cross section of the given features on the mapped area
Disadvantages of using contour to represent relief on the map
- Contour fail to show some of the heights due to limitation of vertical interval.
- Some of the landforms cannot be shown by using contours for example coral reef, outcrop rock and craters
- Contour method is mostly not used to show relief on small scale map as it may obscure some details