The following are methods which are used in deep sea fishing.
- Drifting. in this method the drift nets hang vertically like a table tennis net.This method is used in catching pelagic fish. the fish gills are caught in the mesh when the fish try to swim across the drift net
- Trawling in which trawling net is used. this is bag shaped net used in catching the dermasal fish as it is dragged by using trawler
- Whaling by the use of power fired harpoons which normally carry an explosive charge. It used in catching whales especially in japan.
- Seining that involve the use of of haul seine or purse seine. their features are between drift net and trawler net. The seine net is pulled to surround a shoal of fish. it is used by fishermen in small boat or by land based fishermen
- Lining in which line fitted with hooks are used to catch fishes. it is used where trawlers and seine nets can nt be used, especially where the sea floor is rugged. It is used for large fish like tuna.
The fishing industry or fisheries refer to activities that involve the establishment, development and exploitation of different fish resources.
The African countries can use the following strategies to promote fishing industry
- They should encourage and facilitate the establishment of fish farms
- They ban indiscriminate fishing and enforce the use of standardized net.
- They should institute seasonal banning of fishing to allow breeding
- They should start Issuing license to fisherman in order to control fishing
- They should dredge silted lakes
- They should establish and improve roads and other transport facilities to fisheries
- They should keep looking for exporting opportunities for fish
- They should encourage fish eating culture
- They should establish the ministry dealing with fishing.