A research problem, in general, refers to some difficulty which a researcher experiences in the context of either a theoretical or practical situation and wants to obtain a solution for the same.
CHARACTERISTICS OF RESEARCH PROBLEM
- The variables in the problem must be clear
- It should be limited in scope and should be specific,
- It must have a goal
- It should be free from ethical constraints
- Good research problem must be researchable.
SOURCES OF RESEARCH PROBLEMS
- Social problems like unemployment, crimes, female genital mutilation , etc
- Theory deduction
- Funding agencies
- Past researches and literature review
- Casual observation . Sometimes casual observation of what is going on in our life and environment may trigger our desire to know more, and to have concrete knowledge of what is going on it can lead to formulation of hypothesis and conducting of systematic research.
- Related literature
- Current social and economic issues
- Personal interest and experience
- Replication of previous studies. this occur when the studies made in other fields or areas are conducted in different fields and areas. for example one can replicate the study of effect of population pressure on environment which was done in one district to another district to see if he will get the same results.
- Clarification of contradictory research results
We hope that you have found this article useful. if you have additional point you would like to share on sources and characteristics of the research problem please add them to the comment below.
READ RELATED POSTS.
Limitation of observation as data collection tool in research.
Understanding observation as data collection tool in research.
Seven (7) disadvantages of interview as data collection tool in research.
Eight (8) advantages of interview as data collection tool in research.